Thursday, March 10, 2011

Labels and the Sensless Double Standards of Society.

Have you ever wondered why it's okay for men to sleep with as many women as they want, and when women do the same they get labeled as a slut? This was brought to my attention after I began reading Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti. In the chapter "You're a Hardcore Feminist. I Swear.", the author talks about how we are meant to look sexy to the standards society has made for us, but also retain our virginity, look pure, or only stay with one partner. Men, however, are told from a small age it's their right as man to have sex and as much sex as possible.  It just doesn't make sense to me. Men could sleep with an entire city and they are simply men doing what men do. Women do the same, and she is a raging whore. Yet, women are still expected to look all hot and sexy. This intrigued my interests. I thought this would be a good topic to right about for my next essay in class. This is just something that I've always wondered about and I believe writing about it will give me better light on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelby,

    I'm really intrigued to read your draft. What you should also look into is what Valenti has to say about purity balls. I have a feeling that you may be relying heavily from Valenti's book "Full Frontal Feminism." What research have you found so far?

    Keep in mind that you are writing for an audience that is not familiar with these terms and/or standards. While it is important to educate your audience about these double standards, keep in mind that you will need to define what a stud is and what a slut is. These may have different definitions considering on who you are talking with. I would encourage you to consider what Valenti has said and then define these terms.

    Think about the implications of these double standards. What does it mean for a young woman in today's society? For a young man?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete